Monday, June 06, 2005

WHAT NOW?

What am I suppposed to do if I find myself deeper than I imagined? If I look up, searching for a way out of this hole I've put myself in, will I give up, or fight?

And if there's someone there, hand outstretched, waiting for me? A man's voice, telling me to stop digging and start climbing...will I listen? Will I find the handholds and the footholds, one after the other, and climb? Concentrating...trying not to fall back down, telling myself "don't let go."

Halfway there, looking up into the open, will he still be there? "Don't leave me here" I beg him, and he's nowhere to be seen...I stop, thinking this is a waste of time...just let go and you'll be safe at the bottom...alone and miserable, but safe.

"Keep climbing" he says, "I won't leave you," and I can't help but start to believe him.

Further and further up I climb. The hole is getting bigger and I can see his face now, so serious as he stretches to help me.

"C'mon, just a little more," and suddenly I'm at the top. I extend a shaky hand to him and I wonder if this is real...he takes hold of my hand, and even though I feel how strong and sure his grip is, I wonder if he is real. He pulls me up and over the edge, away from my prison, and his arms wrap around me, but I can only stand there and tremble. I want to hold him back, but I can't make my arms move from my side.

Next to him like this I hear how gentle his voice is in my ear. "See, I told you I wouldn't leave you," and it's all I need. I reach up and around, holding onto him as if he just saved my life.

I believe he just did.

No comments: